Mom is away, so normal rules are suspended while she is gone.
At stake conference today I ran into Br. Moriez and Sebastien, our two French members. Bryan and I are Sebastien's home teachers, so we invited them to come over for lunch. Br. Moreiz said he had pie to contribute, so we said "great" I had planned for doing some grill today. I got the meat yesterday--it was a beautiful fall day in New England, just right for grilling. Everyone has had that experience with a Sunday meal at our house, right. Today's Costco steaks were unusually good, if I do say so my self. Potatoes, great mixed vegetables, salad, and french bread--the whole deal right from Costco's shelf to our kitchen. Thank you , Costco!!! No stress, just these two kind friends over to the house with Bryan and me.
So back to Br. Moreiz. He and Sebastien arrive, with Sabastien carrying what appears to be a boxed pie, and Br. Moreiz carrying a covered roasting pan. I am completely oblivious to this, but when we sit down at the table and offer a word of prayer, Br. Moreiz quickly speaks up and says, "who would like some rabbit." I start to choke at the thought, but polite Bryan responds by saying, "Yea, I just saw this episode on "Survivor Man" where the guy captured a snowshoe rabbit, and that is how he stayed alive. I'll try it." I said "No thanks." Br. Moreiz was very insistant--"you should really try it--no cholestoral and it only costs $2.99 a pound at Stop and Shop." I still wouldn't rise to the bait. Give me steak, or give me salad. Br. Moreiz grabs Bryan's plate and says, "here, have the leg." He pulls out this huge piece of bone and meat that covers the entire plate. Plus he scoops out this sauce with huge lumpy bits that could not be readily identified as "animal", "vegatable" or "other." Bryan asks, "What are these," thinking maybe that they may be "other", but got a response from Br. Moreiz of "mushrooms." So Bryan jumps right in to his rabbit, taking a bite from the leg, and then quickly pushing the plate to the side (but he gets high style points for not throwing up!). In the end, 3 of the 4 of us had rabbit, and 4 of 4 had steak. Steak wins by a neck, or was it a leg--not sure.
Moral of the story, be careful in extending dinner invitations to your French friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh man. I say "no thank you" to rabbit. Way to stick to your guns Steve, and nice job Bryan! Yuck.
Does it taste like chicken?
good story... I got sick just thinking about it...
haha, it was a weird moment in time. i soon found out why dad said, "no thanks" so quickly...
Post a Comment