Tuesday, December 11, 2007

From Dave - 12.11.07

Dec 11, 2007
Dear Family,
Its been once again a wonderful week here in Venado Tuerto. Do I start out all of my letters like that? Well I'm sorry for the redundancy if I do, but isn't every week just a great week? We've had some ups and downs. To start off with the downs Rosa decided now that she's not going to be baptized. She's going through a lot of troubles right now and has started to form a lot of doubts. When we answer her doubts about the Book of Mormon she just comes up with other doubts. She got really sick this week (she's a diabetic and very obese) which has caused some problems (I can say that she's obese because I'm in Argentina and its not bad manners to tell things how they are).
The thing is that President Hutchinson has given us the goal of finding men for Murphy. We have 3 active priesthood holders in Murphy and at the end of the year we have 2. President has actually told Elder Butler that we can't teach any woman if there's no chance of also teaching an reactivating/ baptizing a man. So we are going to let Rosa sit for now, if she comes to church on her own she can still get baptized, but we have to follow the advice of president.
This was an interesting week. Elder Butler had to do divisions with the other areas so I got to work with Elder Bascom and Elder Tolman 2 days this week. Its really interesting to see how every Elder works differently. I've had to opportunity to work with a bunch and its been great to pick out the things I like that they do. The thing most important though, which I've picked up from Elder Butler, is that you have to talk to everyone and work until you can't work anymore. I've never been more tired in my life than these past 6 weeks, but its been a good tiredness. A tiredness that I'm trying to work with all my heart, might, mind, and strength.
Right now we are working with 6 people or so that will be baptized before the end of the year. First is a family where there are 4 boys (agustine, gijermo, Kevin, and Franco) with ages 8 9 12 13 respectively. One day they just randomly showed up to church and we've been teaching them since. Their mom has had a really tough life and isn't very willing to listen, yet. But the kids are solid and reading the book of Mormon everyday. They are living the life. Their life is so simple, they play soccer, go to the orchard to pick fruit, set off little fireworks. Enjoying the good old outdoors like kids should. They are progressing great though and should be baptized the 29th.
Also we are working with a part member family. An inactive member (woman) is living with a nonmember and they have a family. The husband wants to listen and the kids too! We just need to help them get married first, which is always tricky.
Christmas time is great. They have a day down here where they put up their trees (8th of December) so now all of the houses are decorated. Its strange to think its Christmas time in the heat, but it's the most wonderful time of the year still.
Hey mom good that's awesome that the charity is going to have that kind of support! What a blessing! You'll have to take pictures of your red carpet event in the summer. Haha love you guys thanks for your love and support! The gospel is true and the true source of peace and happiness!Elder WhitingPS For my next letter im thinking of doing things maybe a little different, rather than just a report of everything exactly I did ill try to elaborate more on single events. Ill see how it turns out, I hope my letters are interesting enough.

No comments: