Saturday, August 8, 2009

Crossed the line

This summer I decided to plant tomatoes. I picked two different types, planted them in a sunny spot and waited for the harvest. I was completely surprised to find that what I thought were red Roma tomatoes, were actually yellow! But still taste fabulous.

I've been having trouble with squirrels biting into my ripe tomatoes. Someone at the gardening store told me that if you put human hair around the plant, it will deter squirrels from the plant. So, I gave it a try.

Last night, the squirrel came to me in my dream. He had seen the hair, paused, and left the tomatoes untouched. He looked up at me and spoke to me, telling me that the hair wouldn't stop him for long, he would be back.

This afternoon, I returned home to check on my tomatoes and found this on the back fence:

He's mocking me.

2 comments:

k. said...

This is funny. And sad. Stupid squirrels. Nice job on having a "garden" though. I tried flowers on our fire escape, but they died.

Steve said...

It is tough to be an urban farmer. I have never tried. I am proud of your effort, as is Grandpa, I'm sure